Sep 08, 2018
Hampden-Sydney Soccer scored three goals in the second half to defeat the Knights of Southern Virginia University 4-0 on Saturday night.
- Final Score: Hampden-Sydney 4, Southern Virginia 0
- Records: Hampden-Sydney 1-2-1, Southern Virginia 0-5
- Location: Hampden-Sydney, VA – Hellmuth-Gibson Field
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hampden-Sydney wasted no time getting on the scoreboard as Spell Carr sent in a crossing pass that found Paul Mahaffy for a header goal just 3:05 into the contest
- H-SC outshot the visitors 10-0 in the first half and had several strong chances but was not able to finish
- The floodgates opened in the second half and the relentless offensive pressure drew a foul in the box on Southern Virginia in the 52nd minute, leading to a Hunter Weiland penalty kick score
- Six minutes later, Weiland found the back of the net again to provide the Tigers a 3-0 lead
- The final score came in the 77th minute when a Jack Sweney headed in a Jacob Siler corner kick
COACH DINUZZO'S COMMENTS
- "Good team effort and it was about time we got into the win column. We're pleased with the whole group, especially considering that we still have quite a few injuries. Now it's time to build on this over the next couple games before ODAC play begins."
TIGER TOP PERFORMERS
- Hunter Weiland scored two goals and played excellent defense
- Paul Mahaffy and Jack Sweney each tallied a goal
- Jacob Siler and Spell Carr handed out an assist apiece
FOR THE FOES
- James Hampton made 10 saves
STATS OF THE GAME
- Hampden-Sydney outshot Southern Virginia 26-2, now allowing a shot until the 76th minute
- H-SC drew nine corner kicks and surrendered zero
- Hampden-Sydney heads to Danville, VA to play Averett University in non-conference action on Wednesday at 7 pm.