skip navigation


(October 4, 2008)LYNCHBURG, VA – Hampden-Sydney's 3.67 goals-per-game average seemed to be under construction at Lynchburg College as the Tigers were held scoreless for the first time this season. Luckily for the Tiger offensive, the defense was up-and-running and had an all around great night preventing Lynchburg from scoring and keeping the game at a 0-0 tie after two overtimes.

Both teams played extremely hard and well with each team having several opportunities, but nobody was able to find the back of the net. In the majority of the first half the game was played in the middle of the field, but near the end of the half Lynchburg looked like they would have two easy shots on goal. The Hornets raced down the field with only one defender to beat. Fortunately for the Tigers, that lone defender was sophomore Sam Turner (Richmond, VA/Benedictine) who stopped the ball and cleared it. The ball came directly back to the Hornet offensive, but it was again Turner who stood his ground and did not allow Lynchburg to get a shot off.

The second half of play began with Hampden-Sydney on the attack as freshman Bryan Wharton (Glen Allen, VA/Deep Run) faked the goalie and ripped a shot just wide of the goal. Lynchburg would also get shots of their own, but none of them were able to get past keeper John Robert Plyler (Charlotte, NC/Myers Park) who had eight saves on the night.

The Hornets also had trouble scoring in the second half because of the all around outstanding defensive play from senior James Bishop (Charlotte, NC/Charlotte Latin), who gave the Tigers a boost defensively.

The first overtime looked like the second half with both teams fighting for a goal. It looked like senior Jason Powell (Marietta, GA/Pope) was going to end the match just 40 seconds into the period, but keeper Matt Sturdivant was there to make a diving save and keep the match playing. Each team was able to get off good shots with the Hornets firing four and the Tigers getting off three of their own. Though each team had chances, both Plyler and Sturdivant had great nights between the pipes and allowed no goals.

The final overtime was played just as hard and even as the first 100 minutes as neither team could find the net, and the match ended in a tie.

Wharton fired off the most shots for the Tigers with four, while Pat Brown was the Hornet who gave Hampden-Sydney the most trouble blasting a game high six shots.

With the tie, the Tigers move to 6-3-1 overall and 2-1-1 in the ODAC.

Hampden-Sydney can be seen next at home as they will face the Royals of Eastern Mennonite University on Wednesday the 8th at 4 pm.

2008 Season Review
June 1, 2009 2008 Season Review
October 18, 2008 TIGERS FALL 2-0 IN ROANOKE