skip navigation


(October 14, 2008)HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, VA – Though the Tigers went down 1-0 early, they fought off a physical Marymount team to come back and win 3-1. The match started with Hampden-Sydney on the attack, as just 30 seconds in freshman Bryan Wharton (Glen Allen, VA/Deep Run) stole the ball 20 yards from the Marymount goal and took a shot that was stopped by keeper William Brahmstedt.

Marymount struck just minutes later on a drive of their own when Andrew Stearns handled the ball as he was open in Tiger territory. Stearns took the open shot and snuck the ball off of the post and into the goal for the first score of the game.

Hampden-Sydney continued to attack to try and even the game with junior Will Robertson (Charlotte, NC/Charlotte Catholic) nearly splitting two defenders with a pass to senior Jason Powell (Marietta, GA/Pope). Just before the ball reached Powell, however, it was deflected away by the Saints defense.

Powell continued to pressure the defense, and it paid off in the 20th minute. Powell and Brahmstedt were in a foot race to a loose ball, and Powell beat Brahmstedt to the ball and ran into the box where he was fouled. Sophomore Matt Swaney (Potomac Falls, VA/Potomac Falls) was then able to bury the penalty kick, tying the game at 1-1.

With momentum favoring the Tigers, they pounced again just three minutes later. Sophomore Matt Hampton (Virginia Beach, VA/Kellam) started the play by feeding an open Robertson on the wing; Robertson then flicked the ball cross goal perfectly for Wharton to head it in the back of the net giving the Tigers their first lead of the day.

Hampden-Sydney kept the momentum in the second half of play notching one more goal. In the 58th minute, Powell crossed the ball and both Brahmstedt and freshman Gregorio Pacheco (Montclair, NJ/Montclair) went up for it. Luckily for the Tigers it just escaped Brahmstedt, and Pacheco headed the ball back to senior Michael Krewinghaus (Yorktown, VA/Tabb) who was able to finish the shot.

The Tigers' offensive success can be greatly credited to the all out hustle and pressure shown by freshmen Wharton and Bryan Hughes (Midlothian, VA/Cosby). Both players' constant pressure and hard work began to wear down the Saints' defense allowing Hampden-Sydney to get more chances.

Hampden-Sydney was also greatly helped by the entire defense who limited Marymount to just five shots on the day.

Hampden-Sydney will return to action on the road as the travel to Roanoke, VA to face the Roanoke College Maroons on Saturday the 18th at 1pm.

2008 Season Review
June 1, 2009 2008 Season Review
October 18, 2008 TIGERS FALL 2-0 IN ROANOKE