skip navigation


(October 28, 2008) GREENSBORO, NC – Though both teams struggled in the first half due to the windy, cold conditions, it was Hampden-Sydney that prevailed scoring two second half goals. The 2-0 victory puts the Tigers on a three game win streak and earns them the four seed going into the conference tournament.

Though both teams struggled to get good chances in the first half, it was Hampden-Sydney who took the early offensive out shooting the Quakers 7-2. Junior Will Robertson (Charlotte, NC/Charlotte Catholic) put early pressure on the keeper firing two shots in the first half, but it was freshman Bryan Wharton (Glen Allen, VA/Deep Run) who came the closest to scoring before the 45 minute mark. Robertson chipped a nice ball into the box that Wharton and the Quaker keeper went up to get. As Wharton challenged the keeper, the ball bounced just outside of the goal line and was cleared out by the Quaker defense.

The Tigers would get a scare late in the first half as Guilford came down with a chance to score, but it was Hampden-Sydney defender Sam Turner (Richmond, VA/Benedictine) who stopped the offense, not allowing a shot to get off.

The second half of play began the same as the first with both teams struggling to find solid opportunities to score. With the Tigers still on the attack, they finally found their chance in the 77th minute. Senior Ian Ciejek (Richmond, VA/Mills Godwin) took a Tiger free kick and placed it in the box right where sophomore Matt Swaney (Potomac Falls, VA/Potomac Falls) could jump up and head the ball into the back of the net.

With momentum on their side, the Tigers added an insurance goal via freshman Bryan Hughes (Midlothian, VA/Cosby). Hughes had been pressuring the Quaker defense the entire match, and it finally paid off in the 85th minute when he found himself in a run down with Guilford's keeper five yards outside of the box. Hughes beat the keeper to the ball, flicked it past him, and put the ball right in the back of the net giving the Tigers their final 2-0 lead.

With the win, Hampden-Sydney ends the regular season with an overall record of 11-5-1 and 6-3-1 in conference. The Tigers finish the regular season fourth in the ODAC and advance to the ODAC quarterfinals.

The Tigers look to continue their late season success as they return home to Miller Field as they face the Generals of Washington & Lee University in the first round of the ODAC tournament on Saturday, November 1st at 1:00pm.

2008 Season Review
June 1, 2009 2008 Season Review
October 18, 2008 TIGERS FALL 2-0 IN ROANOKE