Posted: Feb 04, 2018
Hampden-Sydney Lacrosse and #1 Salisbury were tied 4-4 at halftime, but the reigning national champions pulled away in the second half to win 16-7.
- Final Score: #1 Salisbury 16, Hampden-Sydney 7
- Records: Hampden-Sydney 0-1, Salisbury 1-0
- Location: Salisbury, MD – Sea Gull Stadium
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hampden-Sydney struck first as Wilson Booth won the faceoff, picked up the ground ball, and scored in six seconds.
- Tyler Snyder tied the game for the Sea Gulls at 10:17, but Hunter Brown put the Tigers back in front at the eight-minute mark
- A bevy of Tiger turnovers kept H-SC off the scoreboard for a while, but strong goalkeeping from Mitch Renfrow kept the Tigers in the game throughout the remainder of the half.
- The Sea Gulls would go on to score the next three goals to lead 4-2 with 7:43 left in the half
- The Tigers would tally the last two goals of the first half as Brown fed Chandler Shaheen and Jared Medwar at 7:04 and 5:04 respectively
- Salisbury got their third quarter scoring run sparked by a man-up tally at 11:45, the first of their six goals in the frame
- John Burke, Connor Pool, and Hunter Brown would find the back of the net for the Tigers in the fourth, but the Sea Gulls would score six times in the quarter
TIGER TOP PERFORMERS
- Mitch Renfrow posted a career-high 18 saves
- Hunter Brown tallied two goals and two assists
- John Burke contributed a goal and an assist
- Wilson Booth scooped six ground balls with 11 faceoff wins
FOR THE FOES
- Corey Gwin and Tyler Snyder each scored three goals while Gwin posted five points
- Zach Pompea, Pierre Armstrong, and Griffin Moroney each tacked on three points
- Cory Berry, Kyle Tucker, and Drew Borkowicz combined for 10 caused turnovers
- T.J. Logue went 10-for-17 on faceoffs with six ground balls
STATS OF THE GAME
- H-SC's man-down defense held Salisbury to a 1-4 performance
- SU outshot H-SC 57-24 and 34-13 in shots on goal
- The Sea Gulls held a 49-30 edge in ground balls
- The Tigers had 28 turnovers and were 15-23 clearing while Salisbury went 21-21 clearing with 13 turnovers
- Hampden-Sydney travels to Mary Washington on Saturday for a 1 pm faceoff time.