skip navigation

Lacrosse Rolls to 13-6 Win over Marymount

Lacrosse Rolls to 13-6 Win over Marymount

HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, VA - The Hampden-Sydney College lacrosse team got off to a slow start Saturday afternoon against the Marymount Saints, but the Tigers rolled to a 13-6 win in non-conference play.

Marymount got a goal on the board first as Chris Wascak delievered a feed to Connor Kellogg to put the Saints up 1 at 13:29. H-SC's Ben Clarke (Virginia Beach, VA/Norfolk Academy) and Ryan Martin (Midlothian, VA/Cosby) scored two straight goals to give the Tigers a 2-1 advantage at the 9:27 mark. A little less than two minutes later, Chris Wascak posted a game-tying goal. With 1:29 remaining in the first quarter, Carter Mavromatis (Virginia Beach, VA/Cape Henry) found Cole Hawthorne (Richmond, VA/Collegiate) as the two connected on a goal to give the Tigers a 3-2 advantage after 15 minutes of play.

Marymount wasted no time making it an even game on the scoreboard once the second quarter started as Jeff Cook pocketed the Saints third score of the game just 45 seconds into the quarter. H-SC's Nate Cundy (Midlothian, VA/James River) and MU's Chris Wascak traded goals to make it 4-4 at the 7:42 mark. The game took a decided H-SC turn in the last two minutes of the first-half. Clarke scored at 1:04 to put the Tigers back up top. Bobby Fulton (Atlanta, GA/Wesleyan) then came running into the offensive zone after subbing in. He ran through the middle of the defense unabated as Clarke passed him the ball, and Fulton got a one-on-one with the goalie right on the crease and converted with 24 seconds to go. The Tigers won the faceoff, and just nine seconds later, Brad Mostowy (Atlanta, GA/Trinity Pawling, NY) was uncovered in front of the net as Clarke delivered him the ball for another easy goal and giving the Tigers a 7-4 lead heading into intermission.

The third stanza proved to be a defensive affair as the Tigers outscored the Saint 2-0 in the quarter. Cundy got the first goal at 13:18 while Martin had the second with 40 ticks on the clock to push H-SC ahead 9-4 after three quarters.

Hampden-Sydney struck early again in the final quarter as Cole Hawthorne found the back of the net with 13:47 to go. MU's Wascak ended the Saints scoring drought of nearly 30 minutes when he converted on a Fran Turella pass at 10:43. Micah Keller (Richmond, VA/Christchurch) scored at 9:29 off a Mavromatis assists, then Jess Hawthorne (Richmond, VA/Collegiate) tallied the last two goals for the Tigers. Kellogg scored with 3:54 remaining to provide the 13-6 margin.

Clarke finished with two goals and two assists, Cundy had two scores and one helper, and Mavromatis tallied three assists. Martin and the Hawthorne brothers each posted two scores while Mostowy, Keller, and Fulton found the back of the net once. Mostowy also went 11-20 on face-offs with six groundballs. Keller and Nick West (New Canaan, CT/The Gunnery) each had two caused turnovers. Cody Hornung (Bala Cynwynd, PA/Lower Merion) got the win in the net as he made five saves in 47:35 of playing time.

Wascak led the Saints with three goals and an assist while Kellogg had two scores. Ross Fernandez played all 60 minutes in goal to tally 11 saves. H-SC outshot MU 39-25 and held advantages in ground balls (35-31), face-offs (won 11 of 21), and clears (15-for-15, MU was 12-20). The Saints also turned over the ball 21 times compared to 16 for the Tigers.

The Tigers will head up to Pennsylvania for Spring Break. They travel to Cabrini College on Wednesday for a 3:30 game against the #17 team in the country, and then they head to Elizabethtown College for a 1 p.m. Saturday contest.

2011 Season Review
July 12, 2011 2011 Season Review