HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, VA – Hampden-Sydney Basketball defeated Bridgewater 76-34 on Senior Day to earn hosting rights for a First Round ODAC Tournament game on Tuesday at 7 pm. H-SC will be the #8 seed and facing off against 9th seeded Bridgewater. The 34 points are a season-low for points allowed in the ODAC, and the 42-point margin of victory is the largest margin in the ODAC this season.
- Final Score: Hampden-Sydney 76, Bridgewater 34
- Records: Hampden-Sydney 16-9, 8-8 ODAC; Bridgewater 7-17, 6-10 ODAC
- Location: Hampden-Sydney, VA – S. Douglas Fleet Gymnasium
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A dominating defensive effort from the Tigers in the first half saw the Eagles muster just three points over the last 10:08 of the frame following a Kevin Saylor layup at 10:09 that made it a 26-10 H-SC advantage.
- Just a little under three minutes later, Hampden-Sydney secured a 20+ point lead they would maintain for the rest of the game, ballooning to a game-high 42-point lead at the final buzzer
TIGER TOP PERFORMERS
- Every single H-SC player got to play and contribute to the winning effort
- Jake Duncan (Williamsburg, VA/Williamsburg Christian) regained his shooting touch from three-point land, going 5-7 for 15 points
- Guilherme Guimaraes (Ribeirão Preto, Brazil/Miller School) notched 10 points and four rebounds
- Gray Cheers (Supply, NC/West Brunswick) posted seven points, four rebounds, four assists, and two steals
- Mitch Owens (Williamsburg, VA/Walsingham), playing in his last regular season home game, contributed four points, five rebounds, four assists, two blocks, and a steal
- Mike Murray (Norfolk, VA/Norfolk Christian), also appearing in his last regular season home game, tallied five points, six assists, three boards, and three steals
FOR THE FOES
- Logan Seacrist was the lone Eagle in double figures with 11
STATS OF THE GAME
- Bridgewater mustered just four field goals in the first half en route to a 19% shooting performance in the opening frame
- Bridgewater fared better in the second half, but not by much as they finished the game 26% from the floor, 3-19 from three, and 9-16 from the foul line
- H-SC shot 51% for the game, and they were especially on fire from three-point range as they hit on 12 of their 23 attempts
- H-SC outrebounded BC 40-27
- The Tigers converted 17 Eagle turnovers into 27 points while only giving away the ball 12 times
- The ODAC Tournament begins on Tuesday at 7 pm with first round contests played on the campus of seeds 5-8. The Tigers and Eagles will square off again in just three days.