HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, VA – Hampden-Sydney Basketball rolled past Immaculata College 95-61 in the first game of the Luck Stone Holiday Tournament. Albright defeated William Peace 87-83 in the second game to set up an Albright vs. Hampden-Sydney championship game at 4 pm on Sunday.
- Final Score: Hampden-Sydney 95, Immaculata 61
- Records: H-SC 5-2, Immaculata 2-7
- Location: Hampden-Sydney, VA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It was a close game for the first 12 minutes. Immaculata led 20-18 with 8:54 left in the first half, but it was all Tigers from there.
- A Mike Murray (Norfolk, VA / Norfolk Christian) three pointer 12 seconds later gave H-SC the lead, spurring the start of a 26-6 run the rest of the half that saw Guilherme Guimaraes (Ribeirão Preto, Brazil / Miller School) throw down a SportsCenter Top 10 quality lob dunk over Immaculata's Bailey Morgan and he complete the three-point play.
- After a Guimarães layup with five minutes left, H-SC led 35-23.
- After a Mike Piekarski free throw at 3:59, the Mighty Macs went scoreless the rest of the half while the Tigers scored the last nine to go into the break up 46-26
- Halftime didn't stop the Tigers onslaught as Andrew Evans (Raleigh, NC / Millbrook) opened the half with a three-pointer, and Guimarães followed with back-to-back dunks to make it a 53-26 game.
- H-SC got dunks from Evans, Josh Katowitz (Raleigh, NC / Heritage), and Justin Reid (Cary, NC / Cardinal Gibbons) in the second half and went on to lead by as many as 38
TIGER TOP PERFORMERS
- Jake Duncan (Williamsburg, VA / Williamsburg Christian) led the way with 17 points as he shot 6-11 overall and 4-7 from three
- Evans stuffed the box score with 12 points, four assists, four steals, and three rebounds
- Guimaraes posted 11 points and six boards
- Murray tacked on seven points and seven assists
- Logan Samuels (Bowie, MD / Potomac) contributed 11 points off the bench
- Nick Chase (Wilmington, NC / Coastal Christian) added on nine points
- Reid totaled eight points and five caroms
FOR THE FOES
- Rodney Duncan was the lone Mighty Mac in double digits with 12
- Will Chapman, Ron Melton, and Jimmy Markham each scored eight
STATS OF THE GAME
- H-SC shot 52% for the game while Immaculata was just 31%
- The Tigers converted 22-of-35 free throws compared to 18-of-24 for the Mighty Macs
- H-SC dished out 22 assists on 31 made field goals and committed just eight turnovers
- Hampden-Sydney outscored Immaculata in points off turnovers (24-5) and on the fastbreak (14-0)
- Hampden-Sydney hosts Albright in the Luck Stone Holiday Tournament championship game at 4 pm while William Peace goes up against Immaculata in the consolation game at 2 pm.