Apr 19, 2017
Randolph College picked up a key 5-4 over Hampden-Sydney Tennis on Wednesday. The match was originally scheduled for a 3 pm start at H-SC but was moved to Boar's Head in Charlottesville for a 6 pm start due to rain.
- Final Score: Randolph 5, Hampden-Sydney 4
- Records: Hampden-Sydney 7-6, 2-4 ODAC; Randolph 9-5, 5-4 ODAC
- Location: Charlottesville, VA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Matthew Moody and Michael Moody extended their undefeated streak against Division III opponents to 10 with an 8-6 win
- Trent Singleton and Clark Cummings picked up an 8-4 victory at #2 doubles
- Levy Young and Grayson Burns were up 40-love and serving for the match 7-6 at #3 doubles before dropping the match 9-7 to go into doubles up 2-1
- With only three courts, #4-6 singles played first followed by #1-3 and the match was played to decision
- Tuan Tran drew Randolph even at 2-2 with a 6-3, 6-1 win at the #5 flight
- Cummings dispatched of Doug Corbett 7-6, 6-0 at #4, and Burns topped Kyle Unruh 6-3, 6-4 at #6 to give H-SC a 4-2 lead after six matches
- Singles #1-3 proved to be highly competitive as all three matches needed three sets
- Singleton fell behind 6-3 after one set at #3 but rebounded to win the second set 6-4. Trevor Johnson went on to roll in the final set 6-1
- Bradley Strober defeated Matthew Moody 7-5 in the opening set at the #1 flight, but Moody bounced back to win 6-4 in the next set. Strober drew the WildCats even at 4-4 with a 6-2 third-set win
- JT von Seggern and Michael Moody won the first and second sets respectively by a 6-4 score to set up a match-deciding third set, which Seggern won 6-3 to give the WildCats the win.
- Hampden-Sydney is currently scheduled to host Emory & Henry on Sunday at 10 am and travel to VCU later that day at 4 pm.