TIGERS FALL IN ODAC CHAMPIONSHIP
LEXINGTON, VA (APRIL 25, 2010)– The #1 seeded and defending ODAC Champion Hampden-Sydney tennis team fell just short in their bid to repeat as ODAC Champions, falling to the #2 seed Washington and Lee by a score of 5-3. The Tigers won two out of three doubles matches to head into singles matches with a lead, but W&L was able to take four singles matches to win the match.
The no. 3 doubles team of juniors Tal Covington (Gainesville, VA/Flint Hill) and Zack Pack (Keysville, VA/Randolph-Henry) battled hard but lost their match by an 8-5 score. However, the no. 2 pair of junior Shad Harrell (Richmond, VA/Mills Godwin) and sophomore Kevin Calhoun (Richmond, VA/Mills Godwin) answered right back for the Tigers with an 8-5 win over a pair featuring nationally-ranked Hayden White. The no. 1 team of senior William Moss (Fredericksburg, VA/Fredericksburg)and junior Rich Pugh (Augusta, GA/Lakeside) closed out their match by an 8-5 score to give Hampden-Sydney a 2-1 lead heading into singles play.
The Generals, however, stormed out of the gates in singles play with a win at the no. 3 spot, before Pugh won his no. 2 singles match by a score of 6-3, 6-2 to give the Tigers a 3-2 lead. Hampden-Sydney couldn't find their normal rhythm the rest of the way, though, and the Generals went on to clinch the match. The loss drops the Tigers' record to 15-4 on the season.
1. Hayden White (W&L) def. William Moss (HSC): 6-4, 7-5
2. Rich Pugh (HSC) def. Mac Davis (W&L): 6-3, 6-2
3. Jeremy Becht (W&L) def. Shad Harrell (HSC): 6-0, 6-3
4. Michael Freeman (W&L) def. Kevin Calhoun (HSC): 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
5. Will Hall (W&L) def. Tal Covington (HSC): 6-0, 6-1
6. Zack Pack (HSC) vs. Cliff Gaddy (W&L): 1-6, 1-4, unfinished
1. Moss/Pugh (HSC) def. Brooke/Gaffney (W&L): 8-5
2. Harrell/Calhoun (HSC) def. White/Becht (W&L): 8-5
3. Hall/Davis (W&L) def. Covington/Pack (HSC): 8-6