ATLANTA, GA (May 9, 2009)–In the second round of the NCAA Tournament, Hampden-Sydney fell short of a regional championship appearance as #2 Emory University took a convincing 5-0 victory. Emory started the match by winning all three doubles matches. The duo of William Moss (Fredericksburg, VA/Fredericksburg) and Rich Pugh (Augusta, GA/Lakeside) came closest to victory taking an 8-3 loss.
In singles action, the Tigers had Kevin Calhoun (Richmond, VA/Mills Godwin) and Zack Pack (Keysville, VA/Randolph Henry) compete at the No. 4 and No. 5 slots respectively. Emory was just too much as neither could garner a victory.
Since the event was played to decision, the No. 1, No. 2, No. 3 and No. 6 singles were suspended when Emory clinched the match.
The Tigers end their season with an impressive 14-6 mark. The 2009 team had the best season in recent history winning the first ODAC Championship since 1982 and advancing to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
Emory will go on to face the winner of the other second round match up between Mary Washington and North Carolina Wesleyan.
4. Colin Egan (EU) def. Kevin Calhoun (HSC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Oliver Lopp (EU) def. Zack Pack (HSC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Michael Goodwin/Chris Goodwin (EU) def. William Moss/Rich Pugh (HSC) 8-3
2. Mark Boren/David Caplin (EU) def. Shad Harrell/Calhoun (HSC) 8-0
3. Colin Egan/Chris Jordan (EU) def. Philip Parrish/Tal Covington (HSC) 8-2