Fredericksburg, VA (April 18, 2009)–Hampden-Sydney had a tough outing as they fell 8-1 to a very talented Mary Washington team. The Tigers, though, had some very close, tough matches and played well overall.
While Mary Washington swept the doubles matches, the teams of William Moss (Fredericksburg, VA/Fredericksburg) and Rich Pugh (Augusta, GA/Lakeside), and Shad Harrell (Richmond, VA/Mills Godwin) and Kevin Calhoun (Richmond, VA/Mills Godwin) came close to victories but each fell just short at 8-6 each.
Moss and Pugh also had tough tasks in their singles matches. Moss was pitted against All-American John James and fell 7-5, 6-3. Pugh had a marathon match against Jason Dunn; the two played for over two hours, with Dunn earning a victory in a third set tie breaker.
Freshman Philip Parrish (Richmond, VA/Douglas Freeman) recorded the only win for the Tigers as he defeated Andrew Frisk in a convincing manner at 6-2, 6-4.
With the loss the Tigers fall to 9-5 on the year and remain 7-1 in the ODAC.
The Tigers return to action on Tuesday, April 21 as they host Bridgewater College at 3:30 pm for the final match of the regular season.
1. John James (UMW) def. Will Moss (HSC) 7-5, 6-3
2. Jason Dunn (UMW) def. Rich Pugh (HSC) 6-4, 6-7, 10-4
3. Riley Baver (UMW) def. Shad Harrell (HSC) 6-4, 6-4
4. Kaz Murata (UMW) def. Kevin Calhoun (HSC) 6-3, 6-2
5. Evan Goff (UMW) def. Zack Pack (HSC) 6-4, 6-1
6. Phillip Parrish (HSC) def. Andrew Frisk (UMW) 6-2, 6-4
1. Randy Loden/Kaz Murata (UMW) def. Will Moss/Rich Pugh (HSC) 8-6
2. Evan Goff/Bryce Parrish (UMW) def. Kevin Calhoun/Shad Harrell (HSC) 8-6
3. Jason Dunn/John James (UMW) def. Phillip Parrish/Tal Covington (HSC) 8-2