For the second consecutive game, Hampden-Sydney Soccer scored less than a minute into the game. This time it proved to be the only goal of the contest, but it was enough to defeat the Randolph College WildCats 1-0 in ODAC action on Wednesday night.
- Final Score: Hamden-Sydney 1, Randolph 0
- Records: Hampden-Sydney 5-4-1, 3-2 ODAC; Randolph 3-4-3, 2-2-1 ODAC
- Location: Hampden-Sydney, VA – Hellmuth-Gibson Field
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hunter Weiland sent a long pass from well beyond midfield down the middle of the field to Josh McCormack. McCormack corralled the pass and got inside position on his defender where he proceeded to take two dribbles and send the shot inside the far left post.
- Just over three minutes later, Randolph's Adam Watson had a clear path for a shot from just inside the box and fired off a missile of a shot, but it went directly towards Gray Sutter who saved it and Sutter would turn back another Watson shot two minutes later
- Neither team would put a shot on goal the last 22 minutes of the first half but a Nike Reinson attempt in the 32nd minute went just a little high of the goal
- Following a Randolph foul in the 51st minute, Weiland came within inches of making it a 2-0 contest as his hard strike off the free kick went off the crossbar
- The WildCats fired off a flurry of shots from the 71st thru 73rd minutes but one was saved and three of the four other tries ended up being kicked into a Tiger defender with the last coming at 72:25
- The H-SC defense stepped it up from there and held Randolph to zero shots the rest of the night
COACH DINUZZO'S COMMENTS
- "Excellent effort by the entire team. It's always good to score early and then defensively we played very well throughout the entire game. Tonight was just a very typical ODAC matchup and should be great preparation for us going forward."
TIGER TOP PERFORMERS
- Josh McCormack scored once while Hunter Weiland had an assist
- Gray Sutter notched four saves for his second shutout of the season
FOR THE FOES
- Adam Watson recorded five shots with three on goal
STATS OF THE GAME
- Randolph held an 11-7 edge in shots with a 4-1 advantage in shots on goal
- The WildCats earned seven corner kicks to the Tigers five
- Randolph was whistled for 13 fouls while Hampden-Sydney was called for just nine violations
- Hampden-Sydney will play Cabrini College at 6 pm on the campus of Langley High School in McLean, VA