Virginia Wesleyan was called for a foul in the box and JP Reategui converted the penalty kick attempt in the 94th minute to defeat the Marlins, the Tigers first win over VWU since 2006.
- Final Score: Hampden-Sydney 1, Virginia Wesleyan 0
- Records: Hampden-Sydney 9-5-1, 4-3 ODAC; Virginia Wesleyan 7-8, 2-5 ODAC
- Location: Virginia Beach, VA – Birdsong Field
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams got several dangerous chances in regulation but were unable to put on the final touches due to timely defensive plays and impressive diving saves from the goalkeepers
- VWU's Ricky Perrault nearly notched a goal in the 85th minute but saw his shot go off the crossbar
- Tigers were the aggressors in overtime and a Virginia Wesleyan player fouled in the box to give up the game-winning penalty kick
COACH DINUZZO'S COMMENTS
- "We're proud of the effort the guys put in tonight and we knew it was going to be a difficult game from the start. We thought our depth showed once again though and when our subs came on in both halves it gave us a lift. Excellent team win and now we shift our focus to E&H."
TIGER TOP PERFORMERS
- JP Reatugui scored his fourth goal of the season and second game-winner, all within conference.
- Gray Sutter made six saves for the shutout
- Spell Carr recorded a team-high two shots
FOR THE FOES
- Ricky Perrault shot nine times but put just two on target
STATS OF THE GAME
- VWU held an 18-8 shot advantage and 6-3 in shots on goal
- H-SC made six saves to two for VWU
- Hampden-Sydney heads west to Emory & Henry College on Saturday at 6 pm