Hampden-Sydney Lacrosse outscored the Guilford College Quakers 9-0 in the second half to win 15-5 on Saturday afternoon. The win gives the Tigers the chance to clinch the #2 seed in the ODAC Tournament this upcoming Saturday vs. Lynchburg at 4 pm.
- Final Score: Hampden-Sydney 15, Guilford 5
- Records: Hampden-Sydney 12-4, 7-1 ODAC; Guilford 9-6, 3-4 ODAC
- Location: Greensboro, NC – Armfield Athletic Center
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Despite the final score being lopsided, the Tigers were in a battle with the Quakers in the first half.
- Guilford's Derek Spaulding scored to open the game, but John Burke evened the game at 11:06
- Fifty seconds later, Aswan Bland put Guilford on top again, but Hunter Brown answered with his 100th career goal at the 9:32 mark
- Neither team would score again until Connor Sweeney tallied a man-up score for Guilford at the 11:02 mark of the second quarter
- H-SC responded with a three-goal spurt as scores from Burke, Jack Hayden, and Brown put the Tigers ahead 5-3 with 6:01 left in the half
- The Quakers bounced back with the next two scored to even the game at 5-5 at 2:28, but Burke connected with Brown to put H-SC up 6-5 going into halftime
- The second half proved to be all Tigers as the defense dominated, holding Guilford to a measly 10 shots after intermission
- Burke and Chandler Shaheen scored the first two goals in the first three minutes, then Brown fed Burke for a score at 8:11, giving Brown 100 career assists.
- Shaheen tacked on another goal late in the third to make it a 10-5 game after 45 minutes
- H-SC tacked on five more goals in the fourth quarter with Jared Medwar scoring twice along with tallies from Ian Levin, Hayden, and Shaheen
TIGER TOP PERFORMERS
- Hunter Brown posted three goals and two assists. He became the first player in school history with 100+ goals and 100+ assists in a career. Additionally, he is only the second player to post 100 assists at H-SC. He is now five short of tying the school record for career midfielder points (208) and seven assists shy of tying the record for career assists (108).
- John Burke had a career-best game with six points on four goals and two assists
- Chandler Shaheen recorded a hat trick
- Jared Medwar and Jack Hayden each found the back of the net twice
- Ian Levin scored once and assisted on three others. He moved into second place on the school's career points leaderboard with 233
- Marshall Via picked up six ground balls and caused two turnovers
- Wilson Boot went 14-20 on face-offs with 10 ground balls
- Mitch Renfrow made 11 saves
FOR THE FOES
- Connor Sweeney registered a goal and an assist
- Derek Spaulding scored two times
- Parker Styles posted 12 saves
STATS OF THE GAME
- H-SC held a 41-20 advantage in ground balls, including a 24-6 edge after halftime
- The Tigers won 16 of 23 face-offs
- Hampden-Sydney was 3-5 on extra man opportunities while Guilford was limited to a 1-6 performance
- H-SC outshot Guilford 49-28 while outshooting them 29-10 in the second half