The goals of the Athletic Program at Hampden-Sydney College are:
- To help support and promote a positive image of Hampden-Sydney College.
- To have representative, competitive intercollegiate teams while striving always for excellence.
- To have an athletic program that will maximize the number of individual participants and will give impetus to increasing the student morale of the campus.
- To provide opportunities that will allow the program to serve
as a laboratory where students may cope with problems and handle
situations similar to those encountered under conditions prevailing
in the contemporary world. The laboratory should provide adequate
and natural opportunities for:
- Physical, mental, and emotional growth and development.
- Acquisition and development of special skills in activities of each student's choice.
- Team play with the development of such qualities as: loyalty, cooperation, fair play, and other desirable traits.
- Directed leadership and supervision that stresses self discipline, self motivation, excellence, and the ideals of good sportsmanship.
- A focus of interests on activity programs for student body, faculty, and community that will generate a feeling of unity, growth, and development of individuals.
- Achievement of overall goals as set by Hampden-Sydney College in general and the student as an individual.
- Provisions for worthy use of leisure time in later life either as a participant or spectator.
- Participation by the most skilled that will enable those individuals to develop these skills to the highest degree.
- Opportunities for students/others to have wholesome fun and satisfying experiences.